Do I Need Home Insurance?
Most Banks, Credit Unions or mortgage companies will insist that
you purchase coverage, and will ask for proof of insurance before lending you money to buy a home.
When To Buy Home Insurance
Contact your Insurance Broker as soon as possible prior to possession date of your home. More time is required for older homes as an inspection may be required.
What Information Do I Need?
- Basic Dwelling Information is required:
- Year dwelling was built?
- Square footage of home?
- Type of home? (Single dwelling, side by side, or duplex)
- Finished basement?
- Construction of home? (Stucco, brick or vinyl siding)
- Garage? Attached or detached?
- Any porches or decks? (Square footage required)
- Type and age of heating?
- Type of Electrical Service?
- Circuit breakers - Amp service?
- Fuses - 60 or 100 amp? (Tamper proof?)
- Age of shingles?
- Type of plumbing?
- Copper? %
- PVC? %
- Galvanized? %
- If the dwelling is 25 years or older, please provide the dates that the updates have been done to your heating, plumbing, electrical and roof.
- Does the dwelling have an alarm system? Is it a local alarm or a monitored alarm? You will be required to provide an alarm certificate to clarify details of the system.
- For sewer backup coverage the following information is required:
- Is there a sump pump and pit installed?
- Is there a backwater valve?
- Details of any water losses to the dwelling.
- Additional information required:
- Name and fax number of your lawyer.
- Name and address of your mortgage provider.
A home insurance policy is not a maintenance contract. Home insurance is generally intended to help policy holders cope with financial consequences of unpredictable events that are Sudden and Accidental.
Liability To Others
The personal liability portion of your home insurance applies
at your home or anywhere in the world to bodily injury you
may "unintentionally" inflict on others, or to
accidental damage you may do to others property.
Liability coverage does not apply to injuries sustained by
you or by members of your immediate household.
Additional liability coverage maybe required for boats,
golf carts, trailers and business activities.